Monday, September 19, 2016

Denise Williams' work and inspiration


Why did you join Textile 21?

I joined textile 21 to meet like-minded people and to exhibit my work.

How did you get where you are now?

I studied sculpture at College and afterwards tried pottery, life drawing, oil, watercolours and batik.
After doing C&G Embroidery parts 1 & 2, I taught these courses to adults.

Light Fantastic
I was a founder member of the group 10+ Textiles.  Between leaving 10+ Textiles and joining Textile 21 I worked alone and exhibited work in open competitions and craft shows.

Denise's pieces at the World of Glass
When did your interest in textiles first start?

Handling fabrics as a child, making dolls clothes and later my own clothes was my introduction to textiles. I became interested in embroidery after seeing an Embroiderers Guild Exhibition. I joined the Embroiderers Guild and was inspired by the talks and examples of embroidery that I saw there.

What do you love about designing/making?

I love interpreting my artwork and solving design problems. I enjoy drawing and using art materials to obtain the effect I am looking for. I then interpret the artwork in textiles. I enjoy putting colours together and merging contrasting colours for different visual effects.

Light Fantastic
How would you describe your work?

Representational and also abstract. 

What type of materials do you use?

Cottons, transparent organza, fabric paints, drawing pen.

Where does your inspiration come from?

My photographs or drawings of my surroundings either natural or man made.

The group photo! All looking very relieved that we made it to the PV!
You can see Denise's piece's until 4th November at World of Glass in St Helen's, along with all of the other wonderful work by the Textile 21 group.
Check out our Facebook and Instagram account for more information about this and future exhibitions.
Facebook.com/textile21
@textile21nw #textile21 #lightfantastic

No comments: